Saturday 18 February 2012

Hello Gorgeous!

ABOUT MY BLOG:

Yip, another blog about travelling, friends, family, Meryl Streep, weddings, life, death, coming out, food, Liza Minnelli, drinks (and probably some drunks), Judy Garland, movies, celebrities,  Barbra Streisand, following your dreams, yadda, yadda, yadda... Basically covering everything except pictures of little cats doing cutesy things (even though I DO have a big cat that does cutesy things).

This is my first foray into the sphere that is blog, so forgive a few hiccups here and there, misspelt words and upside down pictures. I don’t know my metatags from my megabytes, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out as I go along.

Wondering about the blog’s title? This is not necessarily an homage to “Wicked” or “The Wizard of Oz” -even though it’s my favourite movie and one of the most iconic pictures ever produced… Nonetheless, the movie is about travels, overcoming obstacles, searching for your heart’s desire and the friends (and enemies) you meet along the way. These are the themes I would like to focus on in this blog. The references to “Wicked” are to remind me to always look at life from a different perspective, and to remember that there are two sides to every story…


 
 WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

I’m mainly writing this to keep friends and family up to date with our travels (I know that sounds extremely presumptuous of me, to assume that people actually want to read about this stuff.. but hey, it at least gives me something to do whilst sitting in airports waiting for the next excruciating flight….)

FAMILY
FRIENDS
 
In case we have never had the pleasure of meeting, here’s a brief bio:

I’m a total classic movie freak. I also have a passion for theatre and travelling.

"Judy, Liza, Barbra, Bette. These are names I shan’t forget."


At the tender age of 32, I decided to quit my job as a media strategist in the cutthroat, harassed world of advertising, and take 14 months off to travel with my lovely partner, Liesl:

The lovely Liesl. She makes me smile with me heart...
 
This is either the coolest thing I’ve ever done, or the dumbest thing I’ve ever done..

THE PLAN:

8 Feb 2012 – Liesl and I left our family, friends, pets and home in Johannesburg and left for Hermanus Cape Town.

15 Feb 2012 – depart for the United States for a two month holiday of all things American.
Our itinerary consists of: San Francisco; Los Angeles; Las Vegas; Miami; New York; Atlantic City; Washington DC; Maine; Boston, home.

America


19 April 2012 – the “Fucking Wedding of the Year” in Cape Town, SA.

Chris and Richardt's Fucking Wedding


End May 2012 – South Korea / China / Thailand / wherever, to teach English as a foreign language. (We decided to do a TEFL course in 2011, which qualifies us to do this J)



June 2013 – United Kingdom, indefinitely (assuming I get my UK citizenship, if not… who the fuck knows where we’ll end up...)



 So happy reading. I’ll try not to bore you too much over the next few months!



 xxxxxx





1 comment:

  1. Great Start!!!

    Hope you guys are loving the trip. Remember that its not about the destination...

    ReplyDelete